Email sent to schools investigated as 'malicious communication'
PA MediaPolice examining the contents of an email sent earlier on Tuesday to schools and businesses in the County Antrim area have launched a malicious communications investigation.
They said the "threatening" email was "circulated in a deliberate attempt to cause significant disruption to daily life".
PSNI North Area Commander Ch Supt Kelly Moore said the email affected "six schools in a number of areas including Randalstown, Ballycraigy, and Antrim town".
Multiple businesses were also impacted - with the majority located in Antrim, and one also based in the Ballycastle area.
"As part of our enquiries we are examining a potential link between the email and a false police report to premises in the Mull Road area of Antrim last night," Moore said.
"Those directly impacted by this incident are being supported by police.
"Reports of this nature can cause significant concern and disruption to local communities, and we are continuing to examine the circumstances behind it."
'Pupils will remain indoors'
Earlier, a statement on social media for parents and guardians, St Benedict's College in Randalstown said the PSNI had been informed of the email and, added that "at this stage, the matter is not being treated as a serious threat".
"However, it is being addressed at a senior level, and we will continue to follow all guidance provided," the statement said.
"As a precaution, school doors will remain locked throughout the day as normal.
"Pupils will remain indoors until we receive further guidance from the PSNI.
"The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff remains our highest priority.
"We will keep parents informed and will notify you immediately should the situation change."
The Education Authority said it would continue to liaise with schools and the PSNI and "would encourage everyone to continue to be vigilant and report anything suspicious to police".
It added on Tuesday afternoon, that "all schools that received the email remained open, and reassurance patrols have been increased in affected areas".
'Understandable concern'
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) assembly member Trevor Clarke condemned the email.
"Whilst any threat must be taken seriously, it is important that alarm is not caused unnecessarily and the wording of the message does raise some questions," he added.
"The message has also been shared online and is there is an understandable concern on the part of parents in particular."
Sinn Féin assembly member Declan Kearney said the email had "caused anxiety among parents, schools, and business owners across Antrim".
"These threats are reprehensible and those responsible must be held to account," he said.
"I welcome that the police is investigating the contents of this malicious email and are working with those affected and have increased reassurance patrols in the areas affected."
Alliance assembly member John Blair said: "No child should be put in this situation and no parent should have to worry about the safety of their child when they send them to school."
Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) councillor Roisin Lynch welcomed the swift response from "police, emergency services and schools to reassure pupils and parents and ensure people's safety".
"I would encourage anyone with information to cooperate fully with the police investigation."
